McCarthy signs new deal

Southampton goalkeeper Alex McCarthy has signed a new four-year contract after an impressive 2017/2018 season that saw the 28-year-old win the Fans’ and Players’ Player of the Season awards.

McCarthy said: “I’m massively pleased. I had one year left on my current deal and obviously I’m over the moon to sign a new four-year deal.

“I think the club is going in the right direction. We had a frustrating season last season but that’s in the past now and with the way we finished the season, we can take that into this one and hopefully finish a lot higher up the table.

“I had a frustrating start with my injury but to come into the team and see out the rest of the season and help the team was massive for me.

“You have to wait your time and then when I got my chance, I knew I had to perform week in, week out.

“I train hard every day so I knew I wasn’t being put in when I wasn’t ready. I look forward to more game time next season.”

Saints boss Mark Hughes commented:

“Alex played a key role for us last season, and we are delighted he has agreed a new deal here.

“His performances last season speak for themselves, and it is clear how highly regarded he is by his teammates and also the supporters.

“It was clearly a priority this summer to ensure the commitment between him and the club was strengthened, and we believe Alex is very much in the right place to continue to grow and improve his game.”




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Southampton 1-0 West Brom

Leicester 0-0 Southampton

Ings signs for Saints