Gunn signs for Saints

Southampton have announced the signing of highly-rated England Under-21 international goalkeeper Angus Gunn who joins from Manchester City.

Gunn, 22, has signed a five-year contract with Saints.


Southampton manager Mark Hughes said: “Angus is a player who clearly possesses a tremendous amount of potential, but his performances for Norwich and for the England Under-21 team also demonstrate the capabilities he already has right now.

“We believe he has all the credentials to become a full international goalkeeper for England in the future, and that’s exactly the sort of talent we want to have here at Southampton.

“He represents another excellent addition, and we are excited about what he brings to the squad and the further progression we feel he can make with us.

“There was a lot of interest from other teams in the Premier League, so for Angus to choose Southampton as the best option for him is another positive indication of the work the club is doing and what is being built here."

-----

Angus Gunn commented: “The opportunity was there for me to stay at Manchester City but I saw the potential of this club and the squad.

“The manager and Dave Watson were a big part of the reason why I have chosen to join and speaking to them both was a big factor in my decision.

“I think the club has got a big future and I’m looking forward to getting started now. I’ve spoken to Dave Watson and he said it would be a great environment to come into work. It feels really good and I’m buzzing to get going.

“I’m coming in and I’m really excited. I want to push for the number one spot straight away.

“I’ve come to play Premier League football and I’ll be doing everything in my power in training to get that.

“Obviously, in the future, anything can happen, and I’m really positive about what the club holds.

“I had a great week before the guys went to the World Cup, training with the team, which was a big boost for me.

“The squad is doing amazingly at the moment, so hopefully they can bring it home.

“For me, the ultimate dream would be to play for England. First, I need to sort my club career out, get playing and hopefully, that will come in the future.”


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Southampton 1-0 West Brom

Leicester 0-0 Southampton

Ings signs for Saints